Sunday, August 24, 2008

Button , Button, Who's got the button?







One of my favorite things to do as a child was to sort my Grandma's and my Nana's buttons. I would put them together all sorts of ways. I would write words with them, make designs with them and just run my fingers through them and imagine what dress or coat they would look good with. I counted them and compared which kind there were more of and naturally realized the more common looking the button the more there were of them. The most beautiful were like precious stones and gems. There were not as many of them in a pile that were alike unless I could come up with something more those special ones had in common like rhinestones, stripes or openings of some kind. She lived in an old country house by a creek that had some warping on the floor in the front room. I used to like to try to line the buttons up on the ridge in the warp to see how many I could get in a row before one would slide off. I would pretend it was a mountain or hill. The flooring was linoleum. My grandma gave me the ones I used to play with at her house about 15 years ago. They are the ones in the Christmas tin that is lined with aluminum foil that she put in herself. They are the old ones from clothes that had been discarded to turn into quilts or rags. The buttons got snipped off first of course. My children used to play with a box of spools that she saved. They make great blocks and she gave me those about the same time as the buttons. I have had the spools at school for about 8 years and the kids like to build with them. They are the plastic ones and they also make fun bubble blowers and paint stamps. The print looks just like a wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment