Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas is Coming






Wow fake trees do not look that great on zoom. I would like to get a real tree like I did for years, but they make Gabe sick because he is allergic and you cannot leave them up very long.

I know the artifical ones are not environmentally friendly and are made with all kinds of chemicals that will never, ever, ever biodegrade. I should really be buying a live one and only leave it up inside for a few days before I plant it. I do have an area or two that needs an evergreen. Decorating it is so much work that I want to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor for more than a few days. I could also buy one from a local tree farm because they provide clean oxygen for the area and an income for a local farmer and I could put it out all winter at the corner of the yard for a bird feeder and stand. Then in the spring, cut it up and let the city shred it for mulch.. which they give away for free.

But there is the allergy thing. I wonder how many chemicals we are allergic to that are in the plastics? He does take Zytec now.... Oh well, dilemmas. Looks like I have entirely too much time on my hands while I am recovering. Maybe it is all the meds I am on that are making me ramble.

1 comment:

  1. We have a fake one too. As soon as our daughter left home for college, we switched over. She was quite dismayed with us but my husband (and I) couldn't see driving over to Vashon Island, traipsing through the tree farm in what was usually a pacific NW drizzle, and then he would have to lay on the wet ground to do the cutting honors. A $65. Noble quickly became a $100, Noble due to the cost of the ferry ride to the island and the restaurant bill for lunch. It was fun with her around but as a couple...not as enticing.

    ReplyDelete