Friday, April 4, 2008

rain rain rain rain

We have had a boatload of rain the last couple of days. The ground was already so saturated that it was like a wet sponge. Now it is just sitting around in puddles. We are still trying to figure out our ground and soil make up around here. Best we can tell is that our backyard and side yard sits atop a ridge of limestone. On top of that limestone is clay...lots of clay. We have underground wires for electric, cable, phone and gas. So never sure where we can dig even after having the yard marked twice. The paint never lasts long enough. I should have taken pictures.... Duh.

We worked this week on adding some brick paver border around the front of the house and around the side of the house. I had put some castlegate walling up along the side of the house, but not too wild about the color choice after the roof was redone. So we pulled all of that up and we are going to use that to edge another raised bed. Raised seems to be the way to go to combat the wires and bad soil. So after we got it pulled up it started to rain and has not quit yet. Maybe next week we will have a reprieve. These bricks were meant to b e pavers so hopefully they will work as small retaining walls. I offset them, but may have to go along and run some silicone caulk or mortar. I ridged it in for the first row, I am just afraid I will knock over the second row when I am mowing. I am clumsy that way. I will try to post some pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment