Thursday, November 26, 2009



This is another one of my favorite poems from childhood. It was in a children's poetry book and I loved to hear my Mom read it to me before I could read. She would just recite it most times but I loved looking at the picture in the book and hearing her voice and the words. I love reading it and hearing it read. The way the words are written and the cadence of the verse makes you visualize being in the swing. You can hear, feel and see swinging.


The Swing

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

Robert Louis Stevenson

1 comment: