Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thanksgiving


I am having mixed feelings about this Thanksgiving. It will be the first one that I can remember really being without my family. It will be the first one in almost 30 years that I have not cooked at least a large portion of the meal. The hardest part about it all is that it was my own decision to do this. I am taking a class and have a major project/research synthesis due and need the days off from work to devote to completing this assignment. I always have the time off from work but the cooking of the meal takes at least three days. One to shop, one (the day before) to advance prep food items that I can, then the actual day of Thanksgiving, cooking, cleaning and getting everything ready for the guests. Not to mention the time it takes to clean up and put everything away. I just don't have the time to do all of this. I feel doubly guilty because my Mom's birthday always is around and on Thanksgiving. They are heading to Nashville to be with my oldest sons family. I know they will all have a great time, but I am not happy I can't cook. Nashville folks work schedules would not allow them to be here anyway this year, but I hate not following through with a tradition that does mean so much to everyone. I just have to do this for me..... so fly away turkeys.... Gobble on another day. Loved this picture of some turkeys I caught at a pumpkin patch this fall. Thought it fitting to use now.

No comments:

Post a Comment