Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sunsets from the bench



Roger made a bench for me from an old piece of discarded telephone pole which he cut in half for the posts. The bench piece was a very old piece of hardwood which he found. He had just built it in our old backyard before we moved and he lovingly moved it for me to the new house. We have been able to position it in the backyard in a location that has the best view of the most beautiful sunsets. The trade off of the traffic noise is almost worth it. As I was sitting here one night looking at the sunset, I wondered if years ago the farmer of the land had ever wandered upon this very sight and gazed at the sunset at the end of a long day. The next night Roger and I decided to take a walk in the neighborhood and went around the circle that backs to us. There is a spot that must have been intended originally to expand the neighborhood or add another road. We walked back to the fence at the top of a little hill and there right behind the street where my bench is positioned was an old barn that must have been built on the farm property and the sunset view was the same as from my bench. My pondering was answered and a sense of calm and connection to the past and nature was provided by God. Even the development of the land cannot rob the beauty and wonder God intended with the sunset.

1 comment:

  1. You need to come by and see Elyse sometime! Kelly has been wanting to come too so you guys should get togethr and decide on a time to come visit! To answer your question, Elyse would not "breastfeed," so I am pumping (constantly) and feeding breastmilk through the bottle. i think you're right, that it's an immature digestive system. Gas pains have gotten better since we've tried feeding more often, less amount. She is such a little blessing, do come visit soon... I miss ya!

    ReplyDelete